- Screening is by appointment only
- Strictly abide by the reasons for your visit
- Children under age 12 are tested by prescription only (except in case of travel)
- Test results are sent only by text within 48 hours
- Whenever possible, come to your appointment alone (if needed, one person may accompany you)
- Do not come to your appointment early
- Face masks are required
- Disinfecting your hands is required
- Maintain social distancing in the waiting room and reception area
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue or into your elbow
- Stay home if you have suspicious symptoms (fever, congestion, cough, etc.)
- Visitors are prohibited except in special cases (see “Carers and visitors”)
Test results are sent within 48 hours.
When to get tested
- You have symptoms compatible with COVID-19: A test is recommended.
- You don't have symptoms, but you got a notification from the SwissCovid app informing you about a contact with a COVID-19 case: A test is recommended. You should wait for 5 days after the recorded contact before you get it.
- You are in quarantine following a close contact with a case of COVID-19, but you don't have symptoms: A test will be ordered by the competent cantonal service, from the 5th day after the first contact.
You are asymptomatic, but an outbreak is under investigation: If this type of situation arises, the competent cantonal service will order you to be tested
- You are coming out of a period of isolation: You don't need to be tested.
You have an appointment for an outpatient consultation
Outpatient consultations are taking place normally, in compliance with essential health and safety measures.
E-health care: an alternative option for our patients
Many of our doctors now offer remote consultations and we are continuing to encourage this service instead of a physical consultation whenever possible. Please contact your doctor’s secretarial office for more information about this option. In an emergency, a medical assessment is available online.
Consultation time slots
In order to comply with social distancing guidelines and reduce the number of patients in waiting areas, our doctors are increasing the time between consultations.
Companions and strict on-time arrival for your appointment
Please do not arrive early for your medical appointment or wait outside the building if you arrive before your appointment time. Please come alone whenever possible. When necessary, one person only may accompany you.
Mask wearing and hand cleansing
Please come with your own face mask, which you obtained prior to the appointment. You will be required to disinfect your hands.
Group classes have been cancelled until further notice. We are offering virtual antenatal classes via a video call platform. Please call +41 (0) 22 719 66 39 for more information.
Symptoms that may indicate a COVID-19 infection
In case of suspicious symptoms, make an appointment at our testing center, located in the parking lot facing the main entrance or in one of the other centers distributed throughout the canton. You will obviously need to cancel any appointments you may have with us.
In case of questions or concerns
Please contact your doctor’s secretarial office if you have any questions or concerns about your consultation. You can also find further information on our website, under your doctor’s profile or on their medical specialism page.
Cafeteria closed to the public
Our cafeteria remains closed to the public. An alternative offer is put in place in our B2 building.
You have a scheduled surgical procedure
General measures as well as those for outpatient consultations remain applicable in addition to the specific guidelines outlined below.
Required screening test
Due to the current epidemiological situation of coronavirus or COVID-19 infection, we are asking all patients getting ready to undergo a procedure to do a screening test to find out whether the virus is present in their respiratory tract by having a nasopharyngeal swab done, even if they have no symptoms.
Your safety and the safety of our staff are our main concern
This measure is intended to improve your safety, and the safety of other hospital patients and the care team.
Completing your screening test
To complete your screening test, please make an appointment online below. Your test must be done 72 to 48 hours before your procedure. You will receive the results of your test by text only. You will be asked to show it when you are admitted to the hospital. If the result is positive, please contact your surgeon directly to discuss how to proceed.
Symptoms and contact with someone with COVID-19
Please tell your surgeon immediately if you have experienced a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, flu-like symptoms or been in close contact with someone who has had coronavirus (COVID-19) in the seven days before your admission.
In case of questions or concerns
Please contact your surgeon directly if you have any questions or concerns about the scheduling of your procedure. You can also find further information on our website, under your surgeon’s profile or on their surgical speciality page.
Carers and visitors
To protect the health of our patients and staff, visitors are no longer allowed, except in the following cases:
- in the pediatric department, only parents are allowed, without time restriction;
- dependent persons who need a carer to assist them;
- persons receiving end-of-life care, without time restriction.
For more information, please speak to the staff of the unit in which your loved one is hospitalized.
Visits to the maternity unit are limited to close relatives of the baby: the other parent, brothers and sisters. Parents and loved ones are asked to stay in their room as much as possible and to limit their movements around the maternity unit and the hospital in general. We ask parents and loved ones to visit the baby and mother in as limited numbers as possible. Face masks are required, with the possible exception of very young children.
Hospitalization for COVID-19 (by transfer only)
Hôpital de La Tour welcomes, within the cantonal system, patients with COVID-19 as requested and sent by HUG facilities only. These patients are hospitalized in a unit that is isolated from other patients admitted to our facility.
If you have tested positive for COVID-19 and need urgent medical attention, please call 144, which determines whether hospitalization or at-home care is appropriate, then sends patients out to different facilities in the canton according to availability and the severity of the case.