Cardiology deals with the diagnosis and treatment of heart problems. This extensive discipline is further divided into sub-specialties, each with its own area of expertise. Depending on your specific needs, your cardiologist will refer you to the appropriate specialist.
Non-invasive diagnostic cardiology
Non-invasive cardiology performs diagnostic testing for patients with suspected heart problems using cardiac imaging and heart function tests. These investigations allow our highly-experienced medical team to assess the risk of coronary heart disease and diagnose abnormal heart rhythms.
Our non-invasive cardiology specialists also monitor pacemakers and provide key aspects of cardiac rehabilitation care for patients. We are proud to offer the following services:
- tests to diagnose abnormal heart structure and function
- cardiac MRI scans
- function tests to detect coronary heart disease
- stress echocardiograms
- cardiac stress MRI scans
- exercise stress tests
- myocardial perfusion scans
- tests to detect heart rhythm problems
- Holter monitor tests
- R tests
- monitoring of pacemakers and implantable defibrillators
Heart rhythm unit
The heart rhythm unit looks after patients with heart rhythm disorders or arrhythmias; one of the most common problems seen in clinical cardiology. In some cases, arrhythmias may be life-threatening and cause a range of debilitating symptoms. However, they can often be treated using highly-effective methods.
We specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias. Arrhythmias can develop at any age; they can occur in a healthy heart or they may indicate underlying heart disease.
Most arrhythmias are harmless, but some can be serious, depending on the underlying heart disease and its impact on your cardiovascular system. Symptoms can include palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath - also known as dyspnea, loss of consciousness and even sudden death.
Most people with an irregular heart rhythm can lead a normal life, since the majority of arrhythmias can be successfully controlled with medication, catheter-based treatment or an implantable device, such as a conventional pacemaker, a cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker or a defibrillator.
- bradycardia (abnormally slow heart rate)
- tachycardia (episodes of abnormally fast heart rate at rest)
Both conditions can usually be stabilized using a high-frequency alternating current from a catheter tip, otherwise known as radiofrequency ablation.
- non-invasive assessment
- Holter monitor tests
- exercise stress tests
- high-amplification electrocardiograms
- measurement of QT-interval variability during stable sinus rhythm
- invasive techniques and treatments
- electrophysiology studies
- radiofrequency ablation
- implantation of conventional pacemakers and cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemakers
- use of automated, implantable cardioverter-defibrillators
- implantation of heart-monitoring devices that record heart rhythm continuously
Interventional cardiology uses catheters to treat a variety of heart diseases without the need for open-heart surgery.
Using the least invasive treatment option possible, we treat a wide range of heart diseases, including:
- coronary heart disease (narrowing of the coronary arteries)
- various heart valve diseases
- heart attacks, also known as myocardial infarction
We also perform a variety of minimally-invasive structural heart procedures, including:
- heart valve replacement (catheter inserted via the femoral artery in the groin)
- left atrial appendage closure
We offer an outpatient cardiovascular rehabilitation plan for comprehensive one-on-one care. Dr med. Stéphane Nicolas Zaza and Dr med. Dominique Fournet are in charge of this specialized rehabilitation plan, which is divided into two parts:
- exercises delivered by cardiopulmonary rehabilitation specialists
- multidisciplinary patient education based on medical approaches as well as physical therapy and nutrition
Find out more about our Cardio-Tour rehabilitation plan.
Why choose Hôpital de La Tour?
Multidisciplinary and comprehensive care
Patients benefit from the expertise of all our on-site specialists to ensure the best possible care for their medical condition and health.
We work closely with specialists from a wide range of fields, including:
Care from the Heart Team
In some complex cases, including patients with heart valve disease, the most appropriate treatment is decided by a group of medical professionals known as the Heart Team. This multidisciplinary meeting brings together highly-experienced specialists, including heart surgeons, cardiologists, anesthetists and intensivists, to review the various treatment options available depending on the patient's condition.
Comprehensive and state-of-the-art facilities
Hôpital de La Tour is fully equipped with several surgical suites, an intensive care unit and innovative equipment and technology in order to deliver on-site care to critical cases as quickly as possible. We also have a cardiac catheterization laboratory (surgical suite connected to a room with diagnostic imaging equipment).
Our efficient on-call system means that we can treat heart attacks 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, making us a leading referral center in the canton of Geneva. The Hôpital de La Tour emergency department also delivers 24/7 emergency cardiac care.
The Cardio-Tour rehabilitation plan
Hôpital de La Tour offers a specialized cardiovascular rehabilitation plan for comprehensive care of your heart health: Cardio-Tour.